Suggestion: I'd personally like every course we manage to fund here to be shared on the site OCC.

Whitetiger

Trusted member
GB Participant
Jul 21, 2023
Credits
$0.00
GBG Credits
Ğ0
Hello,
As I said in my previous message, personally, I'd be in favor of all the courses we manage to fund here being able to be shared for free on OCC (as has always been the case, up until now, when someone wanted to share a particular course. I've funded several courses out of my own pocket that I've then shared on OCC for free and I don't think that should change for group buys).

Especially since it divides the community in two:
  • those who can pay and have access to a "premium" type of courses
  • those who can't afford it and will only be able to access OCC courses (without premium usage)
As a result, we're losing the very essence of the site, which was to provide content for all those who don't have the money. While technically, most of the courses we're trying to fund come from COLOSO, CLASS101, it seems logical to me that these should also be available to everyone, (as was the case when someone shared them on their own).

It's just my suggestion, though, and I'd understand if some people didn't agree. But let's not forget why OCC was created in the first place: to help, not for profit. And it makes me very sad if that changes, because it's currently one of the few sites (and even the only one) that offers this system.

I also totally agree with you, you've said it all!

And honestly, you shouldn't feel guilty! I've shared many CLASS101 courses and quite frankly, most of the content wasn't worth the price (before the subscription system, each course cost an average of $150) because if you searched on the internet, it was easy to find the same information. And as Strawberry once pointed out on OCC, this isn't customer theft, because these are people who probably couldn't afford to have access to these courses, since for some of them, this represents a month's salary. And it's good publicity for the artist in spite of everything, as some of them will feel indebted to having had it for free and may go on to buy an item from the artist if they have an online shop, a patreon subscription, or make a donation to the artist at a later date.

Coloso is different in that because it's all about real pro artists, and the content is quite elaborate . But CLASS101, most of the content is done by self-taught artists, who have no teaching skills. Many of the courses on this site aren't worth the money, and I've always found them far too expensive for what they are. I had bought a few during the blackfriday period (some courses were heavily discounted, like -70% off). They skim over the fundamentals of art too quickly, and at no point do some of them tell you to "do this exercise regularly for practice", you just see how the artist does it, an assignment to do, without any real explanation, pedagogy, then you move on to the next video and so on. Above all, the aim was normally to get feedback, but the artists never reply when you share your piece in the comments section... All these reasons have meant that I don't even feel guilty about sharing videos anymore, because it's a rip-off for the price.
I felt that this was supposed to be in another section like 'publishers - who is who', as a general advice to where to start from. Please go ahead and find a right place for your feedback. I am thinking of starting the Feedback and Q&A forums. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated (IN A NEW THREAD, please)

To be honest I am very grateful to you people who share such premium courses. I really don't have the funds or for starters a cc for purchasing a course. I am a broke University Student and my parents are not interested in supporting my art dreams. I know there are a lot of people like me who are dependent on OCC for their art education. Its not the unwillingness to pay but rather the inability to pay which holds me from paying . so thank you from the very bottom of my heart to you people who share the courses willingly🙏🙏

There was a method that had been shared for CLASS101 and that also worked for COLOSO, which consisted in having a few code bases, downloading each video with the Tampermonkey extension and Bento4, and get the video from the page's source code. One guy had shared a video on reddit but unfortunately deleted it and the thread with it, because he was receiving a lot of requests (and his video wasn't very understandable for someone who didn't know anything about code) nevertheless, I still have his video, but I don't think I'm allowed to share it here.

Other option: DRM worked for some people, but not all, same for browser extensions to download videos, some work for some people for a while.

Last option that always works but is terribly time-consuming (especially when some videos last several hours, so you'd better have several PCs to use this method) : record your own screen while the video is running

You'd have to ask the admins or strawberry, if they know of a method and check with them, especially as a lot of people are interested in online courses on COLOSO. And there's no point in funding courses that some people already have and can share.
I think recording is time-consuming, and there is a risk of getting banned due to watermarks and associated numbering. It would be more convenient to find someone to develop a tool that can bypass watermarks and allow for easy downloading, wouldn’t it?

I think recording is time-consuming, and there is a risk of getting banned due to watermarks and associated numbering. It would be more convenient to find someone to develop a tool that can bypass watermarks and allow for easy downloading, wouldn’t it?
Totally true ! And Coloso doesn't really work like CLASS101. Until a few months ago, CLASS101 videos were encrypted, but it was still possible to download them (without getting caught). For Coloso, you need to download the "Kollus player" to have access to the videos (which complicates the task). But I think the admins will want to talk about this in another thread

I'm cool if we take few month (3 months at least) to share courses. That way everyone willing to contribute for faster content and everyone can get free courses later.
I agree with this, waiting a few months like 3-5 before releasing to the public seems fair. Will motivate people that can help pitch in for purchasing them to see it sooner, if there's no wait time people might be less interested in joining group buys. And if it's going to be shared it's only a matter of patience for those that didn't or couldn't pitch in. There's lots of courses out there to work on while we wait xd

Maybe you can recommend someone who can do it, or perhaps invite them to join our community as a 'proven downloader,' so we can add them to every GB and even share some collected funds to cover his time?

I agree with this, waiting a few months like 3-5 before releasing to the public seems fair. Will motivate people that can help pitch in for purchasing them to see it sooner, if there's no wait time people might be less interested in joining group buys. And if it's going to be shared it's only a matter of patience for those that didn't or couldn't pitch in. There's lots of courses out there to work on while we wait xd
I don't think people will be less interested in taking part, since those who are currently taking part are already those who can afford to do so..

A delay of 3-5 months is a long time ! Do the funders have access to all the courses (even those in which they haven't participated?) If the answer is no, then imagine, you've only been able to take part in two courses, but there was another one you were also interested in, so you have to wait also 3-5 months to access it. Except if we'll be rewarded for helping to finance such and such a course, but I don't remember seeing that anywhere yet ?

Those who want free content aren't the target audience who will take part in group buy. And as I say, I don't think this is necessarily a very fair mechanism, because it plays on people's patience to somehow force them to pay if they want the course more quickly, a bit like the gacha game method lol

I don't think people will be less interested in taking part, since those who are currently taking part are already those who can afford to do so..

A delay of 3-5 months is a long time ! Do the funders have access to all the courses (even those in which they haven't participated?) If the answer is no, then imagine, you've only been able to take part in two courses, but there was another one you were also interested in, so you have to wait also 3-5 months to access it. Except if we'll be rewarded for helping to finance such and such a course, but I don't remember seeing that anywhere yet ?

Those who want free content aren't the target audience who will take part in group buy. And as I say, I don't think this is necessarily a very fair mechanism, because it plays on people's patience to somehow force them to pay if they want the course more quickly, a bit like the gacha game method lol
I personally don't think 3 months is that big of a deal. I can only afford to join a group buy for 1 course this month, I would be fine waiting a few months for any of the other ones I couldn't join to shared to the public, and there are a couple I'm also interested in. After all, there have been times I waited for almost a year for someone to share a course I couldn't afford and it wasn't a big deal. I just continued to learn other things in the mean time.

Reactions: maddog
I personally don't think 3 months is that big of a deal. I can only afford to join a group buy for 1 course this month, I would be fine waiting a few months for any of the other ones I couldn't join to shared to the public, and there are a couple I'm also interested in. After all, there have been times I waited for almost a year for someone to share a course I couldn't afford and it wasn't a big deal. I just continued to learn other things in the mean time.
Putting myself in the shoes of people who can't pay/contribute to the group buys (but would still like to have the classes), I'd be frustrated to wait 3-5 months. What's more, the example you cite has nothing to do with it. You were waiting for someone who had paid for the course to share it. The course has not been made available to other users; as soon as someone takes the time to share a course they have, it's then available on the site for everyone, so it's not the same thing. Despite this, you still want to keep people waiting. Those who had the means to contribute to the financing of the course can watch it at their leisure, while others have to wait several months. As I said, this divides the community in two and is likely to create frustration and hostility. Plus, it literally goes against what the site was created for. We'll probably never agree on that, unfortunately.

3-5 months can be a long time for some people, especially since most of the courses we're trying to finance are art-related. Imagine the progress you can make in 3-5 months. That's literally 3-5 months lost in a self-taught person's day. Above all, Coloso's courses are unrivalled in terms of quality, and each course has its own specificity, its own learning method. (I'm quoting Coloso because there are obviously several group buys about them).

Let's see what people think and you have the right to think what you wish, but personally I'm against making people wait that long. If I fund courses and share them, it's for the sole purpose of helping those who can't access them. And not frustrate those who can't pay, by making them wait several months because they did not participate in financing the course in question.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: elon
I know this will make me sound very elitist but is it possible to shift away focus from the barely passing courses and focus on group buying more high quality courses instead? Courses from websites such as CGMA, CG Spectrum, Brainstorm etc. In my opinion those courses have made a far far bigger difference for me than any of the class101 or random gumroad courses have.

As much as I love OCC the community sometimes drives me up the wall with how they request the same 2 courses just reskinned. I saw some tiktok tutorials that are better than class101 courses uploaded on OCC.

I'm just recommending this because it's more efficient.
You're free to ignore me obviously as I am a nobody.

Hi there, administrator group! Take a look at my suggestion. I can find someone to develop a Coloso downloader, which doesn’t require tedious recording and has no watermarks in the downloads. It only needs to copy the course link to directly download the configured account information. However, this software can only be obtained through group purchases.

Hi there, administrator group! Take a look at my suggestion. I can find someone to develop a Coloso downloader, which doesn’t require tedious recording and has no watermarks in the downloads. It only needs to copy the course link to directly download the configured account information. However, this software can only be obtained through group purchases.
You better make a new thread/pm the admin. I love to get that software. That mean we can have faster progress for coloso.

Reactions: strawberry
Putting myself in the shoes of people who can't pay/contribute to the group buys (but would still like to have the classes), I'd be frustrated to wait 3-5 months. What's more, the example you cite has nothing to do with it. You were waiting for someone who had paid for the course to share it. The course has not been made available to other users; as soon as someone takes the time to share a course they have, it's then available on the site for everyone, so it's not the same thing. Despite this, you still want to keep people waiting. Those who had the means to contribute to the financing of the course can watch it at their leisure, while others have to wait several months. As I said, this divides the community in two and is likely to create frustration and hostility. Plus, it literally goes against what the site was created for. We'll probably never agree on that, unfortunately.

3-5 months can be a long time for some people, especially since most of the courses we're trying to finance are art-related. Imagine the progress you can make in 3-5 months. That's literally 3-5 months lost in a self-taught person's day. Above all, Coloso's courses are unrivalled in terms of quality, and each course has its own specificity, its own learning method. (I'm quoting Coloso because there are obviously several group buys about them).

Let's see what people think and you have the right to think what you wish, but personally I'm against making people wait that long. If I fund courses and share them, it's for the sole purpose of helping those who can't access them. And not frustrate those who can't pay, by making them wait several months because they did not participate in financing the course in question.
In my view, implementing a 3-5 month waiting period for those who didn't participate in the purchasing process is entirely justified. If a course truly holds the potential to elevate your art to the next level within that timeframe, you'll find a way to partake in the group buy. Should you be unable to do so, waiting seems only fair.

In fact, I believe there should be two distinct sections for group buy courses (GBC). The first section would be about fund-raising campaigns which would enable the entire community to vote and buy a course, granting immediate access for free to everyone. The second section would allow individuals to organize private buys, similar to the current system, with access becoming available to everyone after 3-5 months.

By offering these options, we can strike a balance between immediate access for active participants and ensuring fair opportunities for others within a reasonable timeframe.

Last edited:
In my view, implementing a 3-5 month waiting period for those who didn't participate in the purchasing process is entirely justified. If a course truly holds the potential to elevate your art to the next level within that timeframe, you'll find a way to partake in the group buy. Should you be unable to do so, waiting seems only fair.

In fact, I believe there should be two distinct sections for group buy courses (GBC). The first section would be about fund-raising campaigns which would enable the entire community to vote and buy a course, granting immediate access for free to everyone. The second section would allow individuals to organize private buys, similar to the current system, with access becoming available to everyone after 3-5 months.

By offering these options, we can strike a balance between immediate access for active participants and ensuring fair opportunities for others within a reasonable timeframe.
Unfortunately, I can't understand this point of view, even though I totally respect it.

How is it justified to make people wait several months? The aim of OCC is normally to make education accessible to all. However, for me, making people wait that long to get it for free is just penalizing those who can't afford to take part in the buying groups and who will have to be patient (which can lead to frustration). Because there, people know that part of the community has access and not them. It's not the same as waiting for someone to share a course they've paid for out of their own pocket, because when that happened, everyone could access it on OCC.

This will create hostility within the community, and quite honestly, whether you put in a certain sharing time or not, in any case the courses will be shared as long as participants have access to them (whether initially in a restricted circle, friends/family, and then little by little, it will continue to be shared) so from this point of view, what's the point of taking 3 to 5 months when they'll probably be shared (and may end up on other sites before they're even available on OCC) ? After all, you can't guarantee that none of the participants will share the course with anyone else.

You may find the delay reasonable, but those who wait probably won't.

I'd be more up for a few weeks or 1 month, and reward participants with a premium subscription for a few days/weeks, for example. But I'm against the idea of making those who can't afford it wait at least 3-5 months. Frankly, I find that very selfish.

Last edited:
Reactions: elon

So you agree to make groups pay multiple times for the same course?
You think that's alright for the artists/ for the people who can't afford to participate and for those who have given a lot of courses on OCC?
Even though on OCC you were able to access content freely you stand with your point of view?
People who have contribute on the past will say f*** you to this elitism/exclusivity and not participate any longer.
Making people pay multiple times, that's reselling.

If the community is more transparent and safer payment plans are implemented more people are going to contribute.
If more people contribute to funding the courses, once and not multiple times, we as a community can focus on a course after the other.
We would than expand the offer of courses and making it accessible for everyone.

I
Unfortunately, I can't understand this point of view, even though I totally respect it. How is it justified to make people wait several months? The aim of OCC is normally to make education accessible to all. However, for me, making people wait that long to get it for free is just penalizing those who can't afford to take part in the buying groups and who will have to be patient (which can lead to frustration). Because there, people know that part of the community has access (and not them in this case). It's not the same as waiting for someone to share a course they've paid for out of their own pocket, because when that happened, everyone could access it on OCC.

This will create hostility within the community, and quite honestly, whether you put in a certain sharing time or not, in any case the courses will be shared as long as participants have access to them (whether initially in a restricted circle, friends/family, and then little by little, it will continue to be shared) so from this point of view, what's the point of taking 3 to 5 months when they'll probably be shared (and may end up on other sites before they're even available on OCC) ? After all, you can't guarantee that none of the participants will share the course with anyone else.

You may find the delay reasonable, but those who wait probably won't.

I'd be more up for a few weeks or 1 month, and reward participants with a premium subscription for a few days/weeks, for example. But I'm against the idea of making those who can't afford it wait at least 3-5 months.
How about let contributor voting the time of relasing of course?. It's one of their reward. It's more amicable. Also a premium subscription cost money who gonna take the cost?